Matrix functions: Computation and application to Complex Networks analysis
Dott. Caterina Fenu
Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica
Università degli Studi di Cagliari
Il corso si svolgerà in Aula II da lunedì 16/01/23 a venerdì 20/01/23 dalle 10 alle 12 e contemporaneamente sul Team Matrix functions: Computation and application to Complex Networks analysis (il codice per unirsi al Team è: okf8wgi).
The aim of the course is to introduce basic concepts related to the computation
of matrix functions and their use in the analysis of complex networks. Half of the
course will be dedicated to the implementation of some algorithms by using the
Outline of the course
• Linear algebra: eigenvalue decomposition, Jordan decomposition, singular
value decompo- sition;
• Introduction to matrix functions and bilinear/quadratic forms: orthogonal
polynomials, Lanczos algorithms, quadrature formulas;
• Introduction to complex networks theory: graphs, centrality/communicability
indices, network indices;
• Use of the MATLAB software.
The oral exam will consist of a discussion of a research paper concerning the topics
of the course.
1. G. H. Golub and G. Meurant, Matrices, Moments and Quadrature with Appli-
cations, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 2010.
2. N. J. Higham, Functions of matrices: theory and computation, SIAM, 2008.
3. W. Gautschi, Orthogonal polynomials: computation and approximation, Ox-
ford University Press, 2004.