We are now offering four PhD scholarships (2 to be started anytime in 2017 and the other 2 to be started in 2018) in the broad areas of Web technologies and Data Science. Students who are interested in research of the Internet of Things, big data analytics, Web mining and knowledge discovery, service-oriented computing, social media analysis, machine intelligence, as well as challenging and world-changing application areas such as smart cities and smart aging, are strongly encouraged to apply.
These positions will be based in Sydney, Australia’s largest and most famous city with well-known landmarks. The PhD research will be performed under the supervision of Prof. Michael Sheng from Department of Computing, Macquarie University.
The stipend of the scholarship is $26,682 per annum (tax exempt, 2017 rate) for 3 years, plus travel funds for attending conferences.
We are looking for highly-motivated, dedicated candidate who meets the following requirements:
– An excellent Masters in Computer Science or a closely related field,
– Very good programming and math skills,
– Very good communicative skills in English, both in speaking and writing,
– Research experience within the fields of database, statistics, data mining, sensor networks/RFID, Internet of Things, Web services, social media, information retrieval or natural language processing,
– Meet Macquarie University’s PhD entry requirements (http://www.mq.edu.au/research/phd-and-research-degrees/how-to-apply/entry-criteria)
Macquarie University is a research intensive university in Australia. Although relatively young, the university enjoys an enviable reputation for its research and education excellence. Macquarie is ranked just outside the top eight, or has ranked within the top eight, in Australia in most international rankings. Macquarie was ranked the first in Australia under the age of 50 (18th in the world), prior to its golden jubilee in 2014, according to the QS World University Rankings.
Established as a verdant university, Macquarie’s campus is located about 16 kilometers north-west to the Sydney CBD, and features 126 hectares of rolling lawns and natural bushland. The campus is also in close proximity to the Macquarie Park, widely regarded as Australia’s Silicon Valley. More information can be found from http://www.mq.edu.au/about.
Interested candidates are invited to send their application to Prof. Michael Sheng (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 31/03/2017, including:
1. A cover letter describing yourself and your research interests
2. Soft copy of your publications (e.g., master’s thesis, conference/journal papers)
3. Your CV
4. Your transcripts of undergraduate and honors/master degrees
5. Recommendation letters from at least two referees
6. Proof of proficiency in English (e.g., TOEFL or IELTS) if English is not your first language